Wednesday 22 March 2017

Any colour - as long as it's black and white!


My daughter gave me my orders for her birthday card - "it has to be black and white". Quite tricky if you don't want to end up with something that looks like a funeral card!

Well this is what I came up with and I have to say I think it's one of my most favourite cards I've ever made.  As usual, my poor photography doesn't really show it to its best advantage but it is smart, chic and elegant.

I started with no very clear idea or plan of what to make, but I searched through my paper stash looking for black and white patterned paper. Different size stripes, spots, big patterns, small patterns - I laid them out and made my selection. I used a sheet of paper from a Becky Higgins Project Life paper pack. This is a lovely assortment of black and white papers with some orange thrown for good measure.



I cut and pasted a piece of the large irregular spot paper onto a black base card and decided to keep things simple and dramatic.

I cut a beautiful fancy label from a set of Spellbinder dies - decorative but quite bold - using the beautiful gold foiled paper/card fromStampin' Up!  I've said before, this card is far better than cheaper gold mirror card Ive used before and I wish you could see just how densely golden this card is. 

The label die comes with a corresponding inner die and I used this to cut out the sentiment, which I had previously laser printed and foiled using Heidi Swapp gold foil and my Minc machine. I glued this white strip to the gold label and played around trying it against different papers..  I cut a larger strip of black card and rounded the corners with a corner punch. Something was missing though when I tried this against the spot paper. Eventually I found a narrow black and white striped paper from the same paper pack that looked good, so I cut a strip from this and layered it behind the black card.

I elevated the gold label by backing it with a piece of fun foam and was almost on the point of sticking it down, when I grabbed a bit of gold glitter washi tape and stuck it down on the black card before adding the label.

That bit of washi tape made all the difference. It broke up the straight lines and pulled the whole design together.

I gold embossed a sentiment inside the card and I'm happy to report that my daughter was highly delighted with it! Success! And no mean feat with my daughter (who has a degree in art) let me tell you!

I hope you like this monochromatic card as much as I do. Thanks for stopping by.

Jane




Product List

1 comment:

  1. I love your card and its easy to see why its a favourite xx I do like the gold washi tape accent :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.